Pages

Saturday 30 July 2011

Horrible, horrible bosses

I should start with the information that I am not very keen on comedies. Actually, there are hardly any that I truly like so for me writing a review on one and persuading you, my dear audience that my opinion is worth your notice, might be an overstatement. Sure I know stuff about films that apply to any genre, but I am not a person who laughs at American jokes. And Horrible Bosses is an American joke.
I must say what is surprising about the film is the cast. It's actually a very good cast and each of the actors/ actresses in a way plays a role they have already played before but which is presented in an unsympathetic and extreme form. Jennifer Anniston is trying to play a one sexy fox, but she turns out to be as sexy as Rachel. Kind of not that sexy really. Kevin Spacey is a Swimming With Sharks boss, but without emotional depth and background story and Colin Farrell plays himself, I think.
And then we have the victims of these horrible bosses. If there is a group of three men in their thirties-forties, there is always the same scheme going on. it seems like some men only hang out with other men to keep the rules going.
1. A responsible one- he is there to control the situation, normally he would go to the most extreme lenghts in order to achieve the aim set in the film;
2. A funny guy- usually fat as well. He isn't actually that funny or doesn't really have this amazingly witty sense of humour. Mainly he is awkward or plain stupid. And it's funny as hell
3. The main guy- he's cool, he's single, he's perfect. He will get the girl, even if he's not looking for one at the moment


So it's the same here.
The Lol of the film relies on the premise. Our heroes hate their bosses so much they come up with the idea that they will kill each others' bosses. So it's not suspicious. I don't know how not suspicious is it to check their connections if they are best friends and every day people see them drinking at the same bar, but fuck it, let's say it's persuasive enough.
Fortunately and and unfortunately for them, this asshole Kevin Spacey kills Colin Farrell thinking his wife is cheating on him, but it's our lost boys who get in trouble for it. I don't have to tell you how it all ends, but it involves the super intelligent recording gadgets. Like in real life.
Even though it has a nympho, a psycho and Colin Farrell, some dirty language and killing scenes, to me Horrible Bosses could be easily watched by children of all ages (of course if removed all of the above). it's just so unrealistic that I can even identify more with the Hangover team. Also, the characters seem all very black and white and I am still waiting for a comedy who will actually have dimentional characters. And when their dimention isn't based on their action only, but actually personality traits.
As I said though, people laughed and probably some fans of comedies will actually enjoy this one more than the producers have expected. After all, it didn't get that little on IMDB.
For me it's meh.
But at least it doesn't have Adam Sandler.
Then killing them is the answer

No comments:

Post a Comment